Monday, October 8, 2007

Spiral In Resin


My newest creation is an argentum spiral set into mustard colored resin. The head is completely Argentum Sterling, and the band is Traditional Sterling Silver. This was a fun ring to create, I really must explore resin more.

However I did glue my third hand down to my desk, oops. gotta figure a way to unstick it. Maybe acetone.

I did make this so I could solder the band to the customers unique size. I am seriously hoping I don't damage the resin in the process.

Here is a trick when soldering a shank where the head cannot take heat.
put enough water in a small container to just cover the entire head. Most of the shank needs to be sticking out of the water. You must use a third hand to do this. Then make sure the shank is perfectly aligned. Place your flux and solder over the area to be soldered. Use a HOT flame and heat the top of the shank only and flow as quickly as possible. The water should keep the sensitive material cool enough to not be damaged.

2 comments:

Over The Top Aprons said...

Very pretty and very creative!

S. Bordeaux said...

Thank you, I had fun making this, well except the part where I glued part of my tools to the bench, oops.