Sunday, January 11, 2009

Secret #1

I am not sure what I hope to get out of this, I already know I am creative. Maybe to amplify and clarify my creative self. It gets lost sometimes.

This chapter mentions taking risks, even if it means being wrong. I know I do that, probably to a fault. I will try something without ever sitting with it long enough to evaluate the chances of success.
ie. my etsy store. When I found etsy, I didn't know anything about it, I just jumped right in even with terrible photos and started listing items before ever getting my storefront ready.
But that isn't really being creative, just overly eager.

My ultimate creation, is my children. I have felt compelled to "create" the perfect little people. It is really unfair to them, but I have been almost compulsive about what my older son is exposed to. My younger son, not so much - I have let it go a bit lately.

But in this caretaking, My artistic self has been stifled. It screams to be let out. I feel like I always HAVE to do something or my 'self' will collapse.
I cannot always go to my studio to create, so I have let loose on painting, that felt wonderful for a while. but it got old, I moved on to pen and ink drawings (I CANNOT draw, so it wasn't as satisfying). then I was able to get outside more and I utilized my kiln, that fueled my artistic fire as long as I could go. Then things got too hectic to get out for several hours at a time, so I exploded into yarn art - hats and animals -(previous post).

I feel like my creative self is disorganized and chaotic. I can't focus on one thing and then when I can I stand there lost sometimes not knowing where to begin, yet wanting to begin everywhere.

There is one major obstacle for me, $$.
I want to channel my creative self into a career. I want to merge the two.
But when I am creating with $$ signs in my eyes, then what I am making suffers. I don't know why. It always comes out better when I am creating without the stress of 'will it sell'.
Those are limitations which inhibit my freedom.

the problems are if I spend too long on something I have to charge more - If I try to do it faster craftsmenship suffers (I won't sell anything with poor craftsmenship) Then all that time is wasted.
If I make it too complex, I have to charge more and it won't sell.
If I make it too simple - no one will be interested.

I hate these limitations I place upon myself.
It is nice when I don't have a show coming up - I feel freer to create whatever I like regardless of external reasons to, or not to, do something.

Also I do question my own creativity oftens,
like "am I taking to many ideas from others?" or "Is this creative at all or just technical"

I think I am drawn toward the jewelry because it is very technical. I can mull over ideas while assembling something else, or soldering things together.

I like to paint because of the freedom it offers - it doesn't have to be technical at all! it can be quick or slow it can be ugly or pretty - it just doesn't matter - (and if you screw up, you aren't out of gobs of money)

(I feel judgment from all around, I don't know if I need this to better myself or if it crushes my creative spirit just a little each time, my hubby is my worst critic - and yet I need his input even if it hurts)

to quote the chapter itself...
I think what my soul wants is "freedom to express all my creative impulses without judgement."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it won't be the same to hear it from me as it will to hear it from others, but you are very creative and even if you think you are taking ideas from others sometimes, we all have to be inspired somehow and then let it become our own. It sounds like you are your own worst critic. I can relate to the money thing because I never write just to express my ideas. I always write wondering, will this be my best seller? Can this be my ticket to riches? Then I find I am ten times more critical than if I was just writing to write. Maybe you rely on your jewelry as too much of a source of income and it stifles you a bit. I know that is not really 100% accurate but with the idea of money on the brain, it hinders you. Maybe getting involved with an exchange with other artists might help with the cost of supplies. I am sure others would be willing to trade things. What is important to remember is that you must create and any way you can express your creativity is creating. The art projects you come up with for the kids to make are a form of creativity and very resourceful at that. If you love what you do and love what you are making, money will find a way to come to you. Maybe try to eliminate all thoughts of money connected with creative ventures for a timed period and see if that helps. This group has also struggled with some of the same issues, so I am sure you will get a lot of helpful ideas from others as well. Anyway, you know I believe in you and think that you have lots of abilities!

Pearl Maple said...

What a great post to start the 12 secrets project with, guess we are all doing this for the same reason, to discover more about our own creative person.

Am working on a collage peice that will get posted later in the week.

Anonymous said...

Whatever your reasons for joining the group, you're here...and maybe the reason is yet to be unveiled to you...

Welcome creative sister...from one mother who doesn't have enough time to another.

Leaping,
Lil
powerofcreation.blogspot.com

Kathie said...

Welcome to the group!

I found myself nodding in agreement about quality control and pricing items for sale - I have an etsy shop as well!

Blessings,
Kathleen

Lisa said...

Ah yes, I too have many conflicting questions bouncing around even as I am sitting down to create! I so relate. Here's to silencing the chatter and hearing the song over the next 12 weeks, eh?

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the journey! I can relate to being stifled by "will it sell?" I've done some commission pieces, and it was really stressful to have to make something that was a specific idea, instead of letting my imagination run wild.

Lisa PN said...

Wow, what a powerful post. Thank you so much for your honesty. I have decided that writing down all ideas in a book keeps me focused. I work as a multidisciplinary performance artist and spent a lot of time working with others, and yet, also create many solo shows. As a performer, it's essential to create for myself, and yet, it wouldn't work, if i did it any other way! But sometimes it's so hard! So, i am thankful for your post. I look forward to more out loud thinking about why and how we create!

Can't wait to share and learn more in the next 12 weeks!