Sunday, April 19, 2009

Faith and Conservatism

I talked about, in an earlier post, my non-understanding of why Conservatives (Republicans Specifically)have to equate Religion so strongly with their political views.
I now have my answer, though I, for my own personal preferences must elaborate on why I cannot accept it the way most must.

In reading Mark Levin's book "Liberty and Tyranny, A Conservative Manifesto", I now have a clear understanding on why it is very important to intertwine politics and faith.

The conservative is all about keeping the laws in order with the Constitution, and following the constitution as it was originally meant. (meaning don't alter what they wrote to what you want it to mean, a living language makes this possible)

The rights given to the individual are derived from the rights of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"
Unalienable rights given to them by their creator.

now to me "their creator" is something different than what they were referring to.
but the intent means all the same. I believe people have these rights as natural rights simply by existing.


Most people need to have the rules "promoting restraint, duty, and moral behavior," laid out for them, and religion is the best way to insure lawful consistent stability among the masses.

The founding fathers were of many different denominations and two of which were Deists (it is believed)
therefore the all signed into the constitution - freedom of religion
it just so happens that the dominant religion is Christianity

I just wish more people were open to the many beautiful varieties of being spiritual without judging and indoctrinating and converting others.
In my spiritual world I believe "natural law" still applies. (The athiest may or may not agree)

The problem with separating the spiritual and state is that it would lead to man "arbitrarily create his own morality and rights."
At that point what gives any individual over any other to say what is right and what is wrong. What is right for you may be wrong for me. Rights then become random and created by men imposed on men.

There in lies the problem, "created by men, imposed on men"
verses
born into it simply by your own creation, a given.
(everyone is created in some way or another, by who or what no one knows for sure, though most will say they do know.)

Perhaps how I have laid it out here doesn't make sense to others but it does to me, and in my blog that is what matters. :)

(all quotes are taken from Mark Levin's book, what can I say he has a better grasp of how to write eloquently than I do.)

No comments: